Making an “Alternatives” Jar
For anybody with issues with binge eating, purging, and/or self-harm (or any other type of urge), an “alternatives” jar is a good project! It is a jar filled with popsicle sticks that have things written on them that you can do when your urge hits, as an alternative to the urge.
- A glass jar (I used a small 8 oz old jar that I had left from a jar of jam- you can get these for $1 in some places with the jam)
- Popsicle sticks (I used 70 regular-sized ones from a pack of 1,000 craft sticks that I bought for $5)
- Markers (I used Bic Mark-It Permanent Markers, but any other marker should work, even dollar-store markers)
- Paints, as many colors as you want (I used Apple Barrel brand acrylic paints, which run for $0.50-$0.57 per 2 oz container at Wal Mart).
- Paint brushes to use for the paints (I used Plaid brand sponge brushes, which I got for $1 for 4, and a pack of 24 different brushes which were $5 each)
- Ribbons and washi (decorative/paper) tape ($0.50-$3.50 per roll, however you want)
Items 4-6 are optional! You can use as much or as little paint as you want. You should only need one bottle if you are doing one color; however, you may want more!
- Gather your materials :) (not too hard!)
- Decide how many sticks your jar will hold. Mine held 70 craft sticks; some can hold more!
- Decide how many colors you want to use, and if you want the colors to mean anything.
- Paint the craft sticks!! Do this on a surface easily cleaned, thrown away, or that you don’t mind getting messy! I used a lid from a plastic tote. You can either put the paints on a palette (if you have one), or dab it onto the sponge brushes and then paint.
- Let your painted sticks dry.
- While you are letting them dry, you can decorate your jar. Some permanent markers work on glass; others don’t. You can try them though! Acrylic paints don’t always work on glass, also. I used washi tape and ribbons, using a hot glue gun to attach the ribbons to the jar. The tape and ribbons can be removed from the jar if I so choose (so that way I can re-use the jar or re-decorate if I want to)
- Once the sticks dry, write on them!!
Ideas for how to use color:
You can see that I used 7 colors, each with 10 sticks. Colors can be used to denote:
- Type of urge (especially useful if you have multiple types)
- Type of emotion behind the urge or activity (feeling sad, guilty, angry, lonely, wanting sensation, etc)
- Amount of time the activity takes (5 min, 10 min, 15 min, 30 min, 1 hr, over 1 hr)
- Amount of money you’d have to invest (ie, totally free things, things you can spend $1 on, things you’d have to spend $5 on, etc)
How to use:
- When your urge hits, pick a color or colors to represent what you need. For example: red for me are things to get anger out, so if I’m wanting to purge because I am angry, I will choose the red sticks.
- Pick one stick of that color. Do that activity, and put the stick to the side. If, after you’re done with the activity, the urge is still there, pick another stick.
- Keep choosing sticks until the urge is gone (or you have other things you have to do)
- If the urge hasn’t gone away, but you are done with your sticks: choose another color and keep going.
Ideas for what to write on your sticks
- 101 things to do besides binge
- More binge alternatives
- Alternatives to binge eating/purging
- Alternatives to self-harm
- More alternatives to self-harm
Art activity to try yay!
WHAT THIS IS SO CUTE❤️❤️
ONCE UPON A TIME - RUMPLE AND BELLE I CANT HANDLE THE CUTENESS
A friend of mine is going on a backpacking trip around the world and I couldn’t think of a good gift to her.
So I ended up writing her a letter to open when she feels lonely, sad, discouraged or disappointed. In it, I told her how excited I am for her, how proud she can be and how wonderful this trip is and that whatever is making her sad now, will be forgotten when she comes home. I also told her to email a friend or family member and tell them 5 things that she learnt and 5 things that made her happy.
I don’t know how dumb or presumptuous this is, to be honest, but it was the best gift I could come up with.
So, I went out with this guy on two dates and there hasn’t been a spark. I just don’t think we’re compatible (I am apparently very active and do a lot of stuff while he… doesn’t really do anything). The second date was really awkward because there were a lot of time when we didn’t talk and he just stared at me with a grin on his face.
And, while I’m here thinking this isn’t going anywhere, he’s apparently got hearts in his eyes. He sent me an email telling me how attractive he finds me and how he likes my laugh and that I make him speechless and all that mushy stuff.
My question: How do I nicely tell him that I don’t feel the same way and I’m not interested in pursuing this further?
hi there, anon. i didn’t realize i took a lot of selfies. thanks for the info. so, your question was whether i think i’m pretty. you already answered that no, i am not.
and i have to agree, anon. i don’t think i’m pretty bc i’m not.
i always have a double chin.
i constantly look like i haven’t slept in a week bc of my dark circles
and, i always look sunburnt. idfk why
i have this white line across my nose that makeup can’t cover up
i have tons of wrinkles on my forehead. like what the hell? i’m 25
also, it’s the size of fucking texas
i still don’t know how to smile in pictures bc i hate my fucking teeth
my feet are flat. my hips are huge. my boobs are weird. i am covered in stretch marks. my voice is grating. my ears stick out two miles from my head. i am always fucking sweating and i’ve been asked if i was pregnant more times than i can count.
so, you’re right. i’m not pretty. i can’t stand the way i look.
which is why it’s so fucking important that i post “a lot” of selfies. bc, anon, you’d better fucking believe that if i look in the mirror that day and don’t cringe, i’m gonna take a fucking picture to save that tiny little second. and GOD FORBID i show the world that i posses a little self love every once in a fucking while.
TO ANYONE READING THIS: DON’T EVER LET SOMEONE MAKE YOU FEEL ASHAMED FOR LIKING THE WAY YOU LOOK—EVEN IF IT’S JUST FOR A SECOND. IF YOU LOOK NICE, YOU TAKE THAT FUCKING SELFIE AND YOU SHOW IT TO THE GOD DAMN WORLD BC THEY DESERVE TO SEE THE GOD/GODDESS YOU ARE!
that beard finally coming in? go ahead, bro. take a selfie.
you finally got that piercing you’ve been wanting? not really my style, but you’re fucking rocking it. take a selfie.
your boobs look awesome in that shirt? take a selfie.
you finally lose or gain that weight you’ve been working on? take a selfie.
your eyeliner look awesome? your new sunglasses make you look like a celebrity avoiding the paparazzi? you killing that tux? you feel a tiny, rare level of self love? you always on a high level of self love? you just like your face?
TAKE A MOTHAFUCKING SELFIE!
thanks for the question, anon. this one’s for you.